NCP wants Goa Speaker to step down pending probe against him
Panaji: NCP`s Goa unit on Wednesday demanded that Legislative Assembly Speaker Rajendra Arlekar should step down in view of the inquiry against him by anti-corruption bureau.
A delegation headed by NCP Goa chief Nilkant Halarnkar met Governor B V Wanchoo with their demand.
"If Arlekar continues to be chairing as the Speaker, there cannot be free and fair investigations by the ACB," party`s local unit chief spokesman Trojano D`mello told reporters here today.
Social activist Aires Rodrigues had earlier filed a complaint against Arlekar accusing him of having disproportionate assets in connection with purchase of a plot of land.
"The dignity of the House is at stake. And he cannot conduct the Assembly proceedings," D`mello said.
The Speaker has already begun using his powers by asking the government to file complaint against Rodrigues, he alleged.
Arlekar had on Monday rubbished allegations levelled against him terming them as "malicious."
He had also said that the money used to purchase the plot was properly accounted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch