NCP wants Goa Speaker to step down pending probe against him
Panaji: NCP`s Goa unit on Wednesday demanded that Legislative Assembly Speaker Rajendra Arlekar should step down in view of the inquiry against him by anti-corruption bureau.
A delegation headed by NCP Goa chief Nilkant Halarnkar met Governor B V Wanchoo with their demand.
"If Arlekar continues to be chairing as the Speaker, there cannot be free and fair investigations by the ACB," party`s local unit chief spokesman Trojano D`mello told reporters here today.
Social activist Aires Rodrigues had earlier filed a complaint against Arlekar accusing him of having disproportionate assets in connection with purchase of a plot of land.
"The dignity of the House is at stake. And he cannot conduct the Assembly proceedings," D`mello said.
The Speaker has already begun using his powers by asking the government to file complaint against Rodrigues, he alleged.
Arlekar had on Monday rubbished allegations levelled against him terming them as "malicious."
He had also said that the money used to purchase the plot was properly accounted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan