NCP wants Goa Speaker to step down pending probe against him
Panaji: NCP`s Goa unit on Wednesday demanded that Legislative Assembly Speaker Rajendra Arlekar should step down in view of the inquiry against him by anti-corruption bureau.
A delegation headed by NCP Goa chief Nilkant Halarnkar met Governor B V Wanchoo with their demand.
"If Arlekar continues to be chairing as the Speaker, there cannot be free and fair investigations by the ACB," party`s local unit chief spokesman Trojano D`mello told reporters here today.
Social activist Aires Rodrigues had earlier filed a complaint against Arlekar accusing him of having disproportionate assets in connection with purchase of a plot of land.
"The dignity of the House is at stake. And he cannot conduct the Assembly proceedings," D`mello said.
The Speaker has already begun using his powers by asking the government to file complaint against Rodrigues, he alleged.
Arlekar had on Monday rubbished allegations levelled against him terming them as "malicious."
He had also said that the money used to purchase the plot was properly accounted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof