NCP wants Goa Speaker to step down pending probe against him
Panaji: NCP`s Goa unit on Wednesday demanded that Legislative Assembly Speaker Rajendra Arlekar should step down in view of the inquiry against him by anti-corruption bureau.
A delegation headed by NCP Goa chief Nilkant Halarnkar met Governor B V Wanchoo with their demand.
"If Arlekar continues to be chairing as the Speaker, there cannot be free and fair investigations by the ACB," party`s local unit chief spokesman Trojano D`mello told reporters here today.
Social activist Aires Rodrigues had earlier filed a complaint against Arlekar accusing him of having disproportionate assets in connection with purchase of a plot of land.
"The dignity of the House is at stake. And he cannot conduct the Assembly proceedings," D`mello said.
The Speaker has already begun using his powers by asking the government to file complaint against Rodrigues, he alleged.
Arlekar had on Monday rubbished allegations levelled against him terming them as "malicious."
He had also said that the money used to purchase the plot was properly accounted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!