Near unanimity to cap iron ore mining activity in Goa
Panaji: Lawmakers in Goa are inching closer
to a consensus to cap the iron ore mining activity in the
coastal state, which is having far reaching impact on its
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar was the first one
to appeal to all the lawmakers on the floor of the House last
week to combine efforts to tackle the rampant mining in the
state, which has snowballed into several social issues.
Parrikar had put forth the idea of capping mining
activity in the state, which will arrest many irregularities
and also will help state agencies to regulate extraction.
"I am ready to forget politics and help the government in
this matter. This is a issue concerning to next generation of
our state," the BJP leader had said pointing out the
uncontrolled mining activity in Goa.
Reacting to Parrikar`s statement in the Assembly, Chief
Minister Digambar Kamat, who holds the mining portfolio, had
also agreed that there should be consensus amongst all
stakeholders over the issue.
Reciprocating his gesture, a senior Congress minister
Aleixo Sequiera told the State Legislative Assembly yesterday
that there has to be capping on the production from mines.
State Environment minister Sequiera stressed that no more
mining leases should be allowed to be operated even if they
obtain all the statutory clearances.
He said that this mode of capping is a measure to contain
the rapid extraction process due to enhanced market demands.
Goa exports more than 44 million metric tones of ore to
various countries including China and Japan. The state has
witnessed sudden surge in exports after demand from China
market. Lawmakers feel that the exports should be limited to
30 million metric tonnes per annum.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler