Near unanimity to cap iron ore mining activity in Goa
Panaji: Lawmakers in Goa are inching closer
to a consensus to cap the iron ore mining activity in the
coastal state, which is having far reaching impact on its
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar was the first one
to appeal to all the lawmakers on the floor of the House last
week to combine efforts to tackle the rampant mining in the
state, which has snowballed into several social issues.
Parrikar had put forth the idea of capping mining
activity in the state, which will arrest many irregularities
and also will help state agencies to regulate extraction.
"I am ready to forget politics and help the government in
this matter. This is a issue concerning to next generation of
our state," the BJP leader had said pointing out the
uncontrolled mining activity in Goa.
Reacting to Parrikar`s statement in the Assembly, Chief
Minister Digambar Kamat, who holds the mining portfolio, had
also agreed that there should be consensus amongst all
stakeholders over the issue.
Reciprocating his gesture, a senior Congress minister
Aleixo Sequiera told the State Legislative Assembly yesterday
that there has to be capping on the production from mines.
State Environment minister Sequiera stressed that no more
mining leases should be allowed to be operated even if they
obtain all the statutory clearances.
He said that this mode of capping is a measure to contain
the rapid extraction process due to enhanced market demands.
Goa exports more than 44 million metric tones of ore to
various countries including China and Japan. The state has
witnessed sudden surge in exports after demand from China
market. Lawmakers feel that the exports should be limited to
30 million metric tonnes per annum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre