NHRC asks Assam Govt to pay Rs 10 lakh to families of victims
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission today asked the Assam Government to pay Rs 10 lakh to the families of victims of an encounter by the Assam Police and the Army in a joint operation.
The Commission has held that the Government of Assam has no explanation to offer to its various observations raising doubts about the genuineness of the encounter.
The Commission had taken suo motu cognizance of the incident and registered a case on the basis of the information given on the website of Assam Police that two ULFA extremists were killed in an encounter at Na-Satra, under Sarthebari police station in Barpeta district of Assam on July 10 in 2009.
"During the course of enquiry, the Commission did not find the enquiry conducted by the Magistrate helpful and observed that he had not taken the trouble to examine the witness evidence to check the police claim that the entire village was cordoned off before the encounter.
"There was no forensic laboratory test to establish the scientific evidence to sustain that the encounter was genuine and took place, as alleged by the police. The post mortem report conclusively demolished the case made out by the police and contrary to their claims of encounter from a distance, it was found that both the men were shot at contact range," the Commission observed.
The Commission has recommended that the Government pay Rs 5 lakh each to the next of kin of Munindra Kalita (26) and Pingal Deka (27), who were killed in the encounter, and asked for a proof of payment on or before the April 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27