No-confidence motion against Goa Speaker defeated
Panaji,: A no-confidence motion against Goa
Legislative Assembly Speaker Pratapsingh Rane, moved by
opposition BJP, was on Thursday defeated by a head count.
The motion was defeated 23-14 on the floor of the House,
after the culmination of an hour long debate.
In the 39-member Assembly, 37 legislators voted.
Independent legislator Anil Salgaoncar abstained, while deputy
Speaker Mauvin Godinho could not vote as he was occupying the
Speaker`s chair during the entire debate.
BJP had moved a no-confidence motion against the Speaker
alleging that he was unfair to the Opposition.
The party legislators, led by Manohar Parrikar, had
contended that the Speaker was indiscriminately delaying the
verdict of various disqualification petitions filed before his
Supporting the motion, Parrikar alleged that Rane had
termed BJP as a "fraud political party" at a function
"If Speaker starts calling Opposition a fraud then we
have a doubt about his non-partisan behaviour," he said.
The Leader of Opposition said the Speaker`s behaviour was
indicative that he had a mindset leaning towards the ruling
Chief Minister Digamber Kamat, opposing the motion,
termed Rane as an "impartial" Speaker.
"In fact, legislators from my party complain that Speaker
gave more time to the Opposition," he said.
Rejecting the allegations made against him by Parrikar,
Rane said he has always acted in favour of democracy.
"I never talk of BJP or any party. I talk about what we
can do for the people of Goa. I say what we are here for and
what we can do," he added.
The ongoing monsoon session will end tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’