No-confidence motion against Goa Speaker defeated
Panaji,: A no-confidence motion against Goa
Legislative Assembly Speaker Pratapsingh Rane, moved by
opposition BJP, was on Thursday defeated by a head count.
The motion was defeated 23-14 on the floor of the House,
after the culmination of an hour long debate.
In the 39-member Assembly, 37 legislators voted.
Independent legislator Anil Salgaoncar abstained, while deputy
Speaker Mauvin Godinho could not vote as he was occupying the
Speaker`s chair during the entire debate.
BJP had moved a no-confidence motion against the Speaker
alleging that he was unfair to the Opposition.
The party legislators, led by Manohar Parrikar, had
contended that the Speaker was indiscriminately delaying the
verdict of various disqualification petitions filed before his
Supporting the motion, Parrikar alleged that Rane had
termed BJP as a "fraud political party" at a function
"If Speaker starts calling Opposition a fraud then we
have a doubt about his non-partisan behaviour," he said.
The Leader of Opposition said the Speaker`s behaviour was
indicative that he had a mindset leaning towards the ruling
Chief Minister Digamber Kamat, opposing the motion,
termed Rane as an "impartial" Speaker.
"In fact, legislators from my party complain that Speaker
gave more time to the Opposition," he said.
Rejecting the allegations made against him by Parrikar,
Rane said he has always acted in favour of democracy.
"I never talk of BJP or any party. I talk about what we
can do for the people of Goa. I say what we are here for and
what we can do," he added.
The ongoing monsoon session will end tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round
- Rio Olympics 2016: Five Indian athletes who redefined 'woman power'
- Govt wants unions to reconsider their strike plan