No criminal action against three cops in abuse case: Police
Panaji: Three Goa policemen, facing a
departmental inquiry for allegedly sexually abusing a girl
inside a police van and making a video clip of it, may be let
off with a minor punishment in the absence of a formal
complaint against them, a senior officer said here.
"Police cannot initiate criminal action against the
trio as there is no complaint against them. We are trying to
trace the girl in the video clip. It may be consensual sex
too. We can ascertain it only after taking her statement,"
SP and Goa police spokesman Atmaram Deshpande said yesterday.
Three policemen including head constable Sandip Naik
had allegedly accosted the victim, said to be a commercial sex
worker standing by the roadside near Calangute beach, almost
ten months ago and had threatened her with arrest if she
failed to fulfil their demands, he said.
While Naik allegedly sexually abused her inside the
patrolling van, the other two prepared the clip and circulated
it among their colleagues, the officer said.
A departmental inquiry is on against them and
disciplinary action has been initiated against Naik,
who has been suspended, Deshpande said.
However, the officer made it clear that if a complaint
is lodged, the policemen will be charged with molestation. He
said police could not take suo motu cognisance on the basis of
the video clip.
Earlier, Calangute police had conducted an inquiry
into the incident and submitted the report to SP (North) Bosco
George following which the head constable was suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...