No criminal action against three cops in abuse case: Police
Panaji: Three Goa policemen, facing a
departmental inquiry for allegedly sexually abusing a girl
inside a police van and making a video clip of it, may be let
off with a minor punishment in the absence of a formal
complaint against them, a senior officer said here.
"Police cannot initiate criminal action against the
trio as there is no complaint against them. We are trying to
trace the girl in the video clip. It may be consensual sex
too. We can ascertain it only after taking her statement,"
SP and Goa police spokesman Atmaram Deshpande said yesterday.
Three policemen including head constable Sandip Naik
had allegedly accosted the victim, said to be a commercial sex
worker standing by the roadside near Calangute beach, almost
ten months ago and had threatened her with arrest if she
failed to fulfil their demands, he said.
While Naik allegedly sexually abused her inside the
patrolling van, the other two prepared the clip and circulated
it among their colleagues, the officer said.
A departmental inquiry is on against them and
disciplinary action has been initiated against Naik,
who has been suspended, Deshpande said.
However, the officer made it clear that if a complaint
is lodged, the policemen will be charged with molestation. He
said police could not take suo motu cognisance on the basis of
the video clip.
Earlier, Calangute police had conducted an inquiry
into the incident and submitted the report to SP (North) Bosco
George following which the head constable was suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened