No illegal mining but ores extracted illegally: Goa govt
Panaji: The Goa government on Monday admitted to "illegal extraction of ore" in the state but maintained that there is no illegal mining.
"Mines operating in Goa are working legally but there are irregularities on those leases. The mining leases are legal but at times the extraction of ore is done illegally beyond permissible limits," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the legislative assembly in response to a query.
He said there were illegalities in handling (exporting) the mining rejects with low grade ore heaps piled alongside the leases.
"During last 4-5 years, almost 4-5 million metric tones of ore were exported after illegal extraction," Parrikar, a known crusader against illegal mining, said.
Goa exported 43 MMT ore during last financial year.
He said the government will be constituting a committee of chartered accountants that will tally the quantum of ore exported and their source of income.
"Action will be taken wherever the source of ore could not be established...I cannot take action against them (the culprits) till I have proof. But once I get the evidence, I will ensure that the illegal mining extractors will not be left scot-free," the CM said, adding that the new mining policy will take care of illegal extraction and export.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?