No illegal mining in Goa: Minister
Panaji: Goa government on Monday told the Legislative Assembly that there was no illegal mining in forest areas of the state and 26 sanctioned mining leases were operating after environmental clearance.
State Forest and Environment Minister Alina Saldanha told the Assembly session that "there is no illegal mining being carried out in the forest areas."
"The list given on the floor of the House mentioned that there are 26 mining leases which are operational by state`s mining giants including VM Salgaoncar & Bros Pvt Ltd, Sociedade Timblo Irmao Ltd and Talaulicar & Sons Pvt Ltd.
Salgaoncar & Bros have six mines in forest areas while Sociedade Timblo Irmao have four.
Saldanha said legal mining was being permitted in forest areas after the user agency (mine owner) obtained clearance under Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980 from the Government of India.
Denying any illegal mining in forest areas, Saldanha said, "If any illegal mining in forest areas is observed, action is taken to stop the mining activity and concerned agencies or authorities are informed to take legal action as per law."
State mines and geology department had recently written a letter to both the North and South Goa district collectors asking them to identify any illegal mining in forest areas.
The government has also asked the ground level officials to identify whether forest areas were used to store the illegally extracted ore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow