No illegal mining in Goa: Minister
Panaji: Goa government on Monday told the Legislative Assembly that there was no illegal mining in forest areas of the state and 26 sanctioned mining leases were operating after environmental clearance.
State Forest and Environment Minister Alina Saldanha told the Assembly session that "there is no illegal mining being carried out in the forest areas."
"The list given on the floor of the House mentioned that there are 26 mining leases which are operational by state`s mining giants including VM Salgaoncar & Bros Pvt Ltd, Sociedade Timblo Irmao Ltd and Talaulicar & Sons Pvt Ltd.
Salgaoncar & Bros have six mines in forest areas while Sociedade Timblo Irmao have four.
Saldanha said legal mining was being permitted in forest areas after the user agency (mine owner) obtained clearance under Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980 from the Government of India.
Denying any illegal mining in forest areas, Saldanha said, "If any illegal mining in forest areas is observed, action is taken to stop the mining activity and concerned agencies or authorities are informed to take legal action as per law."
State mines and geology department had recently written a letter to both the North and South Goa district collectors asking them to identify any illegal mining in forest areas.
The government has also asked the ground level officials to identify whether forest areas were used to store the illegally extracted ore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp