No licences for new liquor shops in Goa till June
Panaji: The current ban in Goa on issuing licences for new liquor retail outlets will continue to be in effect till June end, a senior official said on Monday.
"The state government has decided not to issue any new licences for the retail sale of liquor in the state till June end this year. The applications received for new outlets are not being considered by the department for the time being till the government comes up with guidelines," Commissioner for Excise, Menino D`Souza, said.
Recently, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had told the state assembly that guidelines would be framed for issuing liquor licences in the state, considering that there was a spurt in the number of outlets.
D`Souza said that annually 300 new applications are received by the department.
Parrikar would hold a meeting with the excise department officials soon about framing the guidelines.
D`Souza said that the date for the meeting was yet to be fixed.
The department, however, said that there has been no ban on the new licences for distributors, who sell liquor in wholesale to the retail outlets.
According to the excise department data, total number of 9,336 excise licences were issued up to March 31, 2013 to wholesale and retail outlets.
Besides 7,078 licences were issued to those retailers, who allow customers to consume liquor on their premises, while 178 licences were given to taverns, a concept of bar introduced during Portuguese-era, where customers can purchase and drink liquor, although these joints do not offer a facility to sit there.
The state government has already stopped giving licences for new taverns since 1980, as they do not have facilities like toilet, D`Souza said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre