No licences for new liquor shops in Goa till June
Panaji: The current ban in Goa on issuing licences for new liquor retail outlets will continue to be in effect till June end, a senior official said on Monday.
"The state government has decided not to issue any new licences for the retail sale of liquor in the state till June end this year. The applications received for new outlets are not being considered by the department for the time being till the government comes up with guidelines," Commissioner for Excise, Menino D`Souza, said.
Recently, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had told the state assembly that guidelines would be framed for issuing liquor licences in the state, considering that there was a spurt in the number of outlets.
D`Souza said that annually 300 new applications are received by the department.
Parrikar would hold a meeting with the excise department officials soon about framing the guidelines.
D`Souza said that the date for the meeting was yet to be fixed.
The department, however, said that there has been no ban on the new licences for distributors, who sell liquor in wholesale to the retail outlets.
According to the excise department data, total number of 9,336 excise licences were issued up to March 31, 2013 to wholesale and retail outlets.
Besides 7,078 licences were issued to those retailers, who allow customers to consume liquor on their premises, while 178 licences were given to taverns, a concept of bar introduced during Portuguese-era, where customers can purchase and drink liquor, although these joints do not offer a facility to sit there.
The state government has already stopped giving licences for new taverns since 1980, as they do not have facilities like toilet, D`Souza said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31