Non-Congress ruled states get step-motherly treatm
Panaji: The Goa BJP unit on Tuesday accused the UPA government of giving "step-motherly" treatment to the states not governed by the Congress.
"The UPA government gives step motherly treatment to non-Congress governments in the country because of the direct interference of the UPA members of Parliament to block state projects and schemes," BJP Goa unit spokesman Dr Wilfred Mesquita alleged while talking to mediapersons here.
The party also accused Congress MP Shantaram Naik of trying to block funds for the state from the central coffers.
"It is obvious that Congressmen are attempting to bring afloat their sunken ship," Mesquita said.
Congress Rajya Sabha member Shantaram Naik, during a recent press conference, had asked the Centre not to allot Rs 400 crore for tourism sector in Goa, while claiming that the funds were being diverted for other purposes by the BJP-led state government.
The BJP today said Naik`s statement was an offence to the people of Goa.
The central government, after allotting funds for specific purposes, always monitors the implementation of the work, Mesquita said.
He alleged that the former Congress government in the state had siphoned off or diverted Rs 80 crore allotted to Goa to construct infrastructure for Lucifonia Games, a Portuguese commonwealth games, scheduled later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers