Normal life unaffected in Goa, though banks remain shut
Panaji: The situation remained normal in Goa even as industries were partially hit and nationalised banks remained closed as a part of two-day long nationwide strike call given by labour unions.
Over 2,000 workers took out a march today on the streets of Panaji, peacefully in support of the Central Trade Unions` various demands.
In Goa, the agitators protesting against the stoppage of mining activity also joined hands with the striking labour unions.
The situation remained peaceful and normal across the state and the public transport system ran normally.
The labour union attached to the state-run Kadamba Transport Corporation Limited (KTCL) resorted to strike, but the management pulled available resources to run the services.
"The labour union is on strike, but we have managed to run all the buses with the available staff. The services are not affected," KTCL Managing Director Deryk Natto told a news agency.
There was no attempt to disrupt the services, he added.
The nationalised banks remained closed while private banks did not pull down their shutters.
Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industries (GCCI) officials stated that the strike had affected the bigger units partially where the national-level labour unions were having their presence.
"The strike was peaceful there as the labour unions had served strike notices much in advance," he said, adding that the smaller units were not affected.
The schools and other establishments including markets in the main cities remained open.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH