Notice over Goa information commissioner`s selection
Panaji: The Bombay High Court bench here issued notice on Tuesday to the Goa government and one of the two state information commissioners (SICs) selected by the government after a petition alleged that rules were violated in the selection process.
Petitioner Aires Rodrigues questioned how journalist Sandesh Prabhudesai had been selected without him having even applying.
"The selection of Sandesh Prabhudesai was done without him even applying for the post of SIC and on a mere recommendation letter from Dr Oscar Rebello (a city doctor), which was surprisingly silent on Sandesh Prabhudesai`s educational qualifications," Aires said in his petition.
He further claimed that the advertisement seeking applicants announced only two posts, one for chief information commissioner and the other for one SIC.
But in hiring two SICs, the government violated its own recruitment norms.
The state government as well as Prabhudesai have been asked to submit their responses by Aug 20.
The State Information Commission has been non-functional for over a year, after two appointments made by the state government hit controversy. The hired candidates had to resign following controversies related to their educational qualification and graft probes against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened