Notice over Goa information commissioner`s selection
Panaji: The Bombay High Court bench here issued notice on Tuesday to the Goa government and one of the two state information commissioners (SICs) selected by the government after a petition alleged that rules were violated in the selection process.
Petitioner Aires Rodrigues questioned how journalist Sandesh Prabhudesai had been selected without him having even applying.
"The selection of Sandesh Prabhudesai was done without him even applying for the post of SIC and on a mere recommendation letter from Dr Oscar Rebello (a city doctor), which was surprisingly silent on Sandesh Prabhudesai`s educational qualifications," Aires said in his petition.
He further claimed that the advertisement seeking applicants announced only two posts, one for chief information commissioner and the other for one SIC.
But in hiring two SICs, the government violated its own recruitment norms.
The state government as well as Prabhudesai have been asked to submit their responses by Aug 20.
The State Information Commission has been non-functional for over a year, after two appointments made by the state government hit controversy. The hired candidates had to resign following controversies related to their educational qualification and graft probes against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what