Official to sue Goa legislator for defamation
Panaji: The Goa government has allowed a state official to file a suit against a legislator for his "defamatory comments" in the assembly.
The mamlatdar (an administrative position that is referred to as tehsildar in northern India) of Pernem, C. Shetgaonkar, said that the state administration Thursday granted him permission to move ahead with the suit.
"I don`t want to say much. But I have been granted permission to file a criminal suit. It will be a private complaint," Shetgaonkar said.
During the assembly session in April, Bicholim MLA Naresh Sawal had moved a privilege motion against Shetgaonkar, who he claimed had insulted him during an altercation.
Sawal also alleged that the official was harassing him. Shetgaonkar`s counsel has claimed that the charges made in public by the legislator were defamatory.
When contacted, the Independent legislator said, "I am confident about what I said."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail