Official to sue Goa legislator for defamation
Panaji: The Goa government has allowed a state official to file a suit against a legislator for his "defamatory comments" in the assembly.
The mamlatdar (an administrative position that is referred to as tehsildar in northern India) of Pernem, C. Shetgaonkar, said that the state administration Thursday granted him permission to move ahead with the suit.
"I don`t want to say much. But I have been granted permission to file a criminal suit. It will be a private complaint," Shetgaonkar said.
During the assembly session in April, Bicholim MLA Naresh Sawal had moved a privilege motion against Shetgaonkar, who he claimed had insulted him during an altercation.
Sawal also alleged that the official was harassing him. Shetgaonkar`s counsel has claimed that the charges made in public by the legislator were defamatory.
When contacted, the Independent legislator said, "I am confident about what I said."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country