Official to sue Goa legislator for defamation
Panaji: The Goa government has allowed a state official to file a suit against a legislator for his "defamatory comments" in the assembly.
The mamlatdar (an administrative position that is referred to as tehsildar in northern India) of Pernem, C. Shetgaonkar, said that the state administration Thursday granted him permission to move ahead with the suit.
"I don`t want to say much. But I have been granted permission to file a criminal suit. It will be a private complaint," Shetgaonkar said.
During the assembly session in April, Bicholim MLA Naresh Sawal had moved a privilege motion against Shetgaonkar, who he claimed had insulted him during an altercation.
Sawal also alleged that the official was harassing him. Shetgaonkar`s counsel has claimed that the charges made in public by the legislator were defamatory.
When contacted, the Independent legislator said, "I am confident about what I said."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof