Official to sue Goa legislator for defamation
Panaji: The Goa government has allowed a state official to file a suit against a legislator for his "defamatory comments" in the assembly.
The mamlatdar (an administrative position that is referred to as tehsildar in northern India) of Pernem, C. Shetgaonkar, said that the state administration Thursday granted him permission to move ahead with the suit.
"I don`t want to say much. But I have been granted permission to file a criminal suit. It will be a private complaint," Shetgaonkar said.
During the assembly session in April, Bicholim MLA Naresh Sawal had moved a privilege motion against Shetgaonkar, who he claimed had insulted him during an altercation.
Sawal also alleged that the official was harassing him. Shetgaonkar`s counsel has claimed that the charges made in public by the legislator were defamatory.
When contacted, the Independent legislator said, "I am confident about what I said."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli