Official to sue Goa legislator for defamation
Panaji: The Goa government has allowed a state official to file a suit against a legislator for his "defamatory comments" in the assembly.
The mamlatdar (an administrative position that is referred to as tehsildar in northern India) of Pernem, C. Shetgaonkar, said that the state administration Thursday granted him permission to move ahead with the suit.
"I don`t want to say much. But I have been granted permission to file a criminal suit. It will be a private complaint," Shetgaonkar said.
During the assembly session in April, Bicholim MLA Naresh Sawal had moved a privilege motion against Shetgaonkar, who he claimed had insulted him during an altercation.
Sawal also alleged that the official was harassing him. Shetgaonkar`s counsel has claimed that the charges made in public by the legislator were defamatory.
When contacted, the Independent legislator said, "I am confident about what I said."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister