`Officials took bribes from mine-owners before Ramesh`s tenure`
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday alleged that officials of Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) took bribes from the state`s mine-owners before Jairam Ramesh took over the ministry.
Talking to reporters here, Parrikar said bribes for issuing environmental clearances for mines was rampant in the past. "Look at the Ministers who were holding the portfolio earlier (before Ramesh)," he said, adding that he was not referring to either A Raja or TR Balu.
"There are many officials from MoEF who were involved ...They gave ECs without considering the basic requirements. All these officials would face probe," he said.
In a letter to the current Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan last month, Parrikar had made a similar allegation.
At present, the clearances from MoEF allow fresh extraction of 47 million metric tonnes of ore yearly in Goa.
The chief minister also said that his government`s decision to cap the yearly extraction of ore at 45 MMT had factored in the transportation limitations of roads and barges.
In the last fiscal, 43 MMT of ore was extracted in the state, which is expected to come down to less than 30 MMT in 2012-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof