Only 1 Nigerian out of 52 arrested last month had passport: Police
Panaji: Goa police on Friday said that of the 52 Nigerians who were arrested for staging a violent protest on the national highway in the state last month, only one could produce a valid passport.
As many as 38 had no passports at all. Of the rest, some did not have original passports but produced photocopies, police said.
One of them had a "permit" to stay in India (but no passport). All of them were arrested on September 31 after they staged a blockade on the highway to protest murder of a fellow Nigerian.
The arrests sparked off a diplomatic row between and India and Nigeria. In the aftermath, Goa government formed a special cell to crack down on the foreigners living illegally in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead