Only Konkani/Marathi medium schools eligible for grants: Govt
Panaji: Goa government on Monday said that only Konkani and Marathi medium primary schools would be given grants and English medium schools would not enjoy the same patronage.
The announcement comes in the wake of a controversy over the medium of instruction in primary schools with many people advocating that the government should encourage English medium schools while some political leaders arguing in favour of local languages.
However, the 100-odd schools which had changed their medium from Konkani or Marathi to English during the last academic year would continue to receive grants, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said.
The decision not to withhold the grants was taken considering the fate of about 25,000 students studying there, he said.
Stating that the government plans to encourage schools imparting primary education in local languages, he announced one-time grant of Rs 12 lakh for new primary schools in Konkani and Marathi.
Besides, these schools would be given an annual grant of Rs one lakh for next five years.
The government has also announced additional sops like maintenance grant, salary grant for non-teaching staff and an appointment of additional teacher for imparting English language skills in these schools.
Parrikar said that around 250 additional teachers in government-run schools and 200 in private schools would be employed on a regular basis.
Expressing concern over the condition of government-run schools, he said, "there are 500 schools with less then 30 students in all the four classes together."
The government has also decided to form a committee of educationists who will study the future of primary education in Goa and submit its report in a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers
- Flood situation in Bihar under control: CM Nitish Kumar
- Teenaged Dalit girl gang-raped in UP's Aligarh
- Stem Cell treatment is effective in recovery of spinal injuries