Over 40 mines illegally operating in Goa: PAC
Panaji: The Public Accounts Committee (PAC), constituted by the Goa State Legislative Assembly has collected data, which confirms that large quantity of ore was tapped by firms without proper mining permissions in the state`s forest-rich rural talukas.
The Manohar Parrikar-led PAC has gathered that of the 70 mines in Sattari, Sanguem and Quepem talukas, total 41 operated without permission under various forest laws, as they were operating close to green areas.
They had failed to get mandatory NOC under Forest Clearance Act and also certificate from Chief Wildlife wardens, and also under the Air and Water Pollution Control Act, the documents indicate.
The Committee has also come across several mines which have exceeded its permissible limit of ore extraction.
A senior PAC member said that during last three years almost 98 lakh metric tonnes of Iron Ore was illegally consigned abroad from these mines evading royalty to the state government.
A rough estimate of the data collected from State Forest department and State Mines and Geology department has revealed that almost 30 percent of the ore was illegally extracted in the state.
"That means almost 15 million metric tonnes of ore is extracted illegally through various mining leases," a senior member said estimating that 45 million metric tonnes of ore is exported on an average.
The financial year 2010-11 saw Goa exporting historic 54 million metric tonnes of ore from state’s both the ports.
Parrikar, when contacted, said that there is massive illegal mining in the rural talukas of Sanguem, Quepem and Sattari.
"But the exact amount of ore illegally tapped would be known only after compiling the data for the final report," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead