Over half of Goa`s mining leases near water bodies: Govt
Panaji: More than half of Goa`s mining leases are close to rivers and water bodies and three are next to a major dam, the State Assembly was told Monday.
According to a reply tabled in the House, there are 182 mining leases which are in the proximity of a kilometre to rivers or water bodies in the coastal state.
Water Resources Minister Philip Rodrigues tabled this list today which mentions that there are also three mining leases operating within one kilometre of Salaulim Irrigation
Dam, a project which feeds potable water to half of Goa.
The government had earlier stated that Goa has 300 mining leases and the industry is considered as a backbone of the state`s economy.
"All these mines having proximity to river bodies are located in the rural talukas of Sattari, Bicholim, Ponda, Sanguem and Quepem, which also has majority of state`s forest
cover," he said today.
Also, three mining leases function within one kilometre of Mayem lake, a tourist spot sought after by honeymooners.
Almost all the major mining firms -- Sesa Goa Limited, Soc Timblo Irmaos Limited, Chowgule and Co. Ltd, V M Salgaoncar & Bros Pvt, have their leases almost touching the water bodies.
The minister said that legal action cannot be taken against these mining leases as most of them do not come within legal framework of water resources department.
In all, 29 rivers and water bodies including Mhadei, Bicholim, Khandepar, Kushavati, Assnora, Guleli and tributaries like Maulinguem nullah, Kudnem, Harvalem nullah,
Surla nullah, are near these leases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day