Padma Shri to Rodricks may legitimise homosexuality, says BJP
Panaji: A day after the name of Goa-based fashion designer Wendell Rodricks was announced for Padma Shri Award, the local BJP unit claimed that the award may legitimise homosexuality, though it also congratulated him.
"I am not aware whether he is gay or not, but if it is so, then it would be a proud movement for his colleagues. His colleagues will be happy now that he has received recognition. This may legitimise the homosexual movement," BJP Goa unit spokesman Wilfred Mesquita told during a press conference here.
However, he was quick enough to add that, "Rodricks may have been honoured for his skills, art and contribution for society. It is proud moment for Goa".
The Goa-based fashion designer was in the news after he publicly married his male partner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report