Parrikar defends police probe in Vasco rape case
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today defended the police investigation in the case of rape of a seven-year-old girl at Vasco claiming that even the court had expressed satisfaction over the probe.
The girl was allegedly raped inside the school toilet in Vasco town on January 14 this year.
Police had formed a special investigation team to arrest the accused, yet to be identified.
Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly today that the court, in its judgement, responding to the petition filed by the victim`s father seeking justice, has expressed satisfaction over the investigation.
He, however, said police are yet to strike luck in nabbing the accused.
The investigating team had explored all the leads to track down the accused, who has been identified as a middle-aged person by the victim, the Chief Minister said.
The police went house to house with the sketch prepared on the basis of information given by the victim. But no one could identify him, he said.
The Opposition legislators, including Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco and Vijay Sardesai, questioned the state government`s seriousness in probing the crime, which had raised serious concern in the state.
Lourenco said the family has been undergoing trauma to such an extent that even the victim`s elder sister has stopped going to school.
Parrikar told the House that the state government has made all possible efforts to help the victim`s family.
"Counselling has been extended to the victim and even a special officer has been appointed to coordinate with the family," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say