Parrikar promises quick results on corruption
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar promises to reduce the corruption in the state by "80-90 per cent" before his government completes six months.
"At the end of six months of my government`s tenure, the corruption will be down by almost 80-90 per cent," Parrikar said at an event here on Sunday evening.
"I never said there will be zero corruption, but I had said there will be zero tolerance towards corruption," he said, responding to criticism that he had not been able to end corruption after coming to power in March.
He said his government made all possible efforts to remove the root causes of the malady. He claimed that he had so far cleared 12,000-14,000 files, kept pending by the previous Digambar Kamat government. Most of them were routine files, he said.
This backlog was created intentionally, so as to create opportunities for corruption, the Chief Minister alleged.
"There was a moral collapse of the government," he said.
He also alleged that in its last year, the Congress-led government did not grant promotions to the junior officers, though the promotions were due, and there was a shortage of senior-level staff in the administration.
Parrikar promised that after the code of conduct (enforced ahead of June 4 Cortalim by-poll) ceased to operate, new officers would be recruited and promotions would be cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Nothing wrong in chanting 'Om'; opposition to Yoga uncalled for: Salma Ansari
- Islamic State urges Ramadan attacks in US, Europe in new audio broadcast
- Meet the graduates! Aryan Khan and Navya Naveli Nanda celebrate freedom like stars—View pics
- Watch: 'Smart' walking stick that can help Parkinson's sufferers regain rhythm!
- Shocking: DFO owns luxurious swimming pool as Sukma craves for water