Parrikar vows action against `corrupt` Congress ex-ministers
Panaji: Stepping up attack against Congress, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday asked BJP workers to mobilise public opinion against "corrupt" former ministers so that they don`t earn sympathy after being arrested in graft-related offences.
"There will be action against those former Congress ministers who were involved in corruption. But I am worried they may earn sympathy if we arrest them," he told a state executive committee meeting of BJP here.
"That is why there should be demand from the public for their arrest. The BJP workers should make efforts towards creating such a demand among people," Parrikar said.
BJP National General Secretary Satish Velankar, Goa desk in-charge Smriti Irani and party`s state unit President Vinay Tendulkar, among others, were present at the meeting.
Parrikar told committee members that action would be initiated against Congress legislator Chandrakant Kavlekar, who is being probed in industrial plot allotment scam.
Kavlekar, who was chairman of state-run Industrial Development Corporation during Congress-led Government, has been accused of illegal allotment of industrial plots.
"The next would be Atanasio `Babush` Monseratte. Action against him would be taken before Diwali," said Parrikar, referring to the former Town and Country Planning Minister, who had been embroiled into a controversy over the Regional Plan (a land use scheme) of the coastal state.
The members questioned Parrikar over the delay in action against the Congress leaders, who were allegedly involved in corruption during the erstwhile Digambar Kamat-led government.
"Don`t pressurise me to take action instantly," he said.
The chief minister said the government will take the help of bureaucrats in exposing the "misdeeds" of former ministers and Congress politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says