Parrikar welcomes SC decision to allow mining in Goa
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday welcomed the Supreme Court decision to allow mining in the coastal state which was on hold since October 2012.
"I am yet to see the entire order (of SC) but what I have learnt from primary reports is that we are allowed to mine up to 20 MT (million tonne). I welcome the Supreme Court decision, which has agreed with our main plea to restart the mining activity," Parrikar, who is in Aurangabad in Maharashtra for poll campaign, told PTI over phone.
The Supreme Court today allowed an annual cap of 20 million tonnes of iron ore to be extracted in Goa.
Parrikar said the result was the outcome of the "strong case" put up by the state government before the apex court.
A state-based NGO Goa Foundation had approached the apex court against illegal mining after central government-appointed Justice M B Shah Commission submitted a report claiming a massive mining scam to the tune of Rs 35,000 crore in the state.
"Though I have not seen the entire SC order yet, the state government should be given responsibility to put check and balances on the mining industry," he said, adding the closure of mining activity resulted into 25 per cent slide in the state revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video