Parrikar`s flip flop on involvement in police decisions
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Wednesday said it was he who gave clearance for the arrest of Maharashtra minister Narayan Rane`s son Nitesh for vandalising a toll booth. Parrikar had earlier said he does not meddle in policing.
"You think police before arresting Narayan Rane`s son will not take clearance from me? Of course, they took a briefing (with me)," Parrikar told a press conference.
"If the home minister will not be briefed, then who will be briefed. I told them to go ahead and take action according to law," said Parrikar who also holds the home ministry portfolio.
Only a few days back, when asked to respond to allegations made by Tehelha editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal about political interference in policing, Parrikar had said he does not meddle in police decisions.
Parrikar also rejected a charge made by a section of the media that Nitesh was let off lightly by Goa Police, despite his entourage`s act of smashing a toll booth at the Goa-Maharashtra border and assaulting three toll operators.
Nitesh was released on conditional bail early Wednesday.
Parrikar and the BJP have been accused by Tejpal of taking personal interest and manipulating police investigation against the editor, accused of sexually assaulting a now former junior colleague twice in a Goa resort.
On Nilesh Rane`s hooliganism at the toll booth, Parrikar said it only reflects on the junior Rane`s "cultural background" and "political immaturity".
"What he did was right according to his culture. Everyone has a cultural background," Parrikar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India