Peaceful voting for 48 Zilla Panchayats in Goa
Panaji: Goa witnessed incident-free polling
for its 48 Zilla Panchayats on Sunday with 57 per cent voters
exercising their right to franchise.
State Election Commissioner P M Borkar told reporters
this evening that the polling was peaceful except for couple
of stray incidents of attempt of bogus voting, which was
thwarted by the authorities.
Of the 50 ZP constituencies, 48 are going for polls.
There was no voting in Benaulim constituency as former ZP
Chairman Nelly Rodrigues was elected unopposed and election
was called at Navelim constituency when a sitting candidate
died in an accident, in the run up for the polls.
As per the State Election commission, Fatorpa in South
Goa recorded highest 70.83 per cent voting while Davorlim
constituency in the same district witnessed 40.77 per cent,
which is considered as the lowest for these polls.
Borkar said in all 7.25 lakh voters from state`s rural
areas were eligible to cast their votes.
The counting is scheduled for March 9 in respective
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected