Plastic throwing likely to made cognisable offence in Goa
Panaji: In order to check plastic menace in Goa, the state government is contemplating to make throwing of plastic at roadsides and beaches a cognisable offence, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Monday.
Parrikar told the Legislative Assembly that the government is thinking to make throwing of plastic a cognisable offence by December this year and to punish the offender with a severe penalty.
There will be a serious implementation of anti-plastic law in the state, he said while responding to a responding to a question raised by Independent MLA Vijay Sardesai.
State Forest and Environment Minister Alina Saldanha said the government intends to phase out use of plastic for domestic use including carry bags, sachets and wrappers.
"The measures will take some time for implementation, which will be undertaken in a phased manner by involving all stake holders and by conducting appropriate sensitisation and awareness programmes for general public and tourists," she said.
In August, 2002, the government prohibited carrying, use and sale of non-biodegradable PET bottles and plastic carry bags in certain Coastal Regulation Zones in Panaji and neighbouring Caranzalem and Dona Paula, while for other beach areas in Goa, the matter would be taken up in consultation with all stakeholders, Alina said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui