Police assure NCP of probe into cop`s suicide
Panaji: A Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator`s complaint, accusing three Crime Branch officers of abetting the suicide of a constable, will be examined, the Goa Police Thursday said.
Confirming Benaulim legislator Mickky Pacheco`s complaint, Director General of police (DGP) Aditya Arya said: "We are looking into the complaint. The Goa Police have lost one of our family and we are going to get to the bottom of the matter."
Police driver Chandru Gawas consumed rat poison while on duty last week and succumbed to internal injuries Monday.
In his dying declaration to special judicial magistrate Maria Mascarenhas, constable Gawas said Deputy Superintendent of Police Chandrakant Salgaonkar and inspectors Sunita Sawant and Pravin Vast were harassing him at work, which was why he was forced to commit suicide.
"All the three police officers should be arrested immediately because they are trying to destroy evidence, which is leading to them," Pacheco said, after meeting the DGP Thursday.
Speaking to reporters later, Arya said he has summoned the accused and the top brass at the Crime Branch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in BMC, but BJP gains lead in Pune