Police books Goa tourism minister for land grab
Panaji: The Goa Police Friday booked Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar for land grab.
The registration of the First Information Report (FIR) under sections 420, 119, 120 and 120 B of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) comes within 24 hours of a directive given by a trial court Thursday.
The order by Judicial Magistrate (First Class) Reina Fernandes followed a petition by lawyer-activist Aires Rodrigues, who has claimed that Parulekar, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator from the Saligao assembly constituency, had illegally encroached on 599-square metres of prime land adjoining National Highway 17.
The order also asks the police to book panchayat secretary Peter Martin for making false documents with which Parulekar tried to cover up the act.
Rodrigues had earlier filed the complaint at the Porvorim police station, where police had refused to register the offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...