Police crunching data in Goa mining scam: Manohar Parrikar
Panaji: Police have not made arrests in Goa`s multi-billion rupee illegal mining scam because they are busy crunching data for a judicial probe, according to Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Parrikar, who was addressing students at a Bharatiya Janata Party convention in the city on Friday, also said that local police officers in Goa cannot be trusted to investigate the scandal because they are afraid to take on the mining mafia.
"The department is busy data crunching for the court," Parrikar said, when a student asked him why the BJP-led coalition government had been unable to arrest those responsible for the Rs.35,000 crore illegal mining scam in Goa.
Parrikar, who is being accused by the media as well as the opposition of trying to shield mining barons and politicians, also blamed the central government for not providing the state with good Indian Police Service (IPS) officers.
"The Goa Police (officers) are scared," Parrikar said, adding that with a new batch of IPS officers landing in the state in recent times, the illegal mining probe will pick up steam.
The Chief Minister also hinted that the first arrests in the mining scandal could happen in a couple of months.
A judicial commission has unearthed the scandal in Goa and has accused a bureaucrat-politician-mining magnates nexus for it.
Mining has been banned in Goa by the Supreme Court of India which is currently hearing a petition seeking a probe into the scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi