Police step up security ahead of Advani`s yatra
Panaji: Police have stepped up security for
BJP leader L K Advani`s Jana Chetna Yatra during its Goa leg
after a powerful pipe bomb was found on his route in Tamil
More than 1,000 policemen will be manning the route and
also provide security at public meetings to be addressed by
the 83-year-old former deputy prime minister during his Goa
tour, Superintendent of Police (North) Arvind Gawas said.
A five-feet long bomb, concealed by grass and a saree,
was found under a bridge at Alampatti village on the outskirts
of Madurai city yesterday morning, hours before Advani`s yatra
was to pass through the spot.
His yatra is expected to enter Goa on November 1 from
Karnataka. He is scheduled to address two public meetings
and attend half-a-dozen receptions before leaving for
Maharashtra on November 2.
Goa Police held a review meeting last evening and reworked
all arrangements in view of the bomb seizure.
Gawas said policemen would be posted along the entire
route of the anti-corruption yatra.
Police presence would be increased at places where Advani
is expected to mix with crowd or address gatherings, he
BJP leaders had earlier said that Advani, during the
Goa leg of his tour, will take up issues like illegal mining
in the tourist state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ranbir, Anushka all set to shoot romantic rain sequence
- 7th Pay Commission: CBSE chief R K Chaturvedi gets additional charge of implementation cell
- PM Modi lays foundations stone of AIIMS Gorakhpur, reopens sick fertiliser plant
- Get 75% concession on AC train tickets; know more about such concessions
- The India of our dreams: This poet's take will leave you inspired - Watch