Policeman arrested for abusing sex workers in Panaji
Panaji: A head constable was on Monday arrested in connection with the alleged sexual abuse of commercial sex workers, police said.
Waman Naik, a head constable with Goa police, along with another head constable Santosh Vengurlekar and constable Vijay Gaikwad, was suspended on December 6 last year after two commercial sex workers filed a complaint with the crime branch that the police personnel had exploited them.
The sex workers had alleged that they were sexually abused by the policemen in return of protection to their business and they also tried to extort money from them in 2010-11.
Naik was arrested after being produced before the Goa bench of Bombay High Court, where he had filed the anticipatory bail petition.
"As the petition was supposed to be heard today, he came to withdraw it along with his lawyer and surrendered," police inspector (crime branch) Sunita Sawant said.
Naik would be produced before the court tomorrow to seek his remand as his custodial interrogation is required, Sawant added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family