Policeman arrested for abusing sex workers in Panaji
Panaji: A head constable was on Monday arrested in connection with the alleged sexual abuse of commercial sex workers, police said.
Waman Naik, a head constable with Goa police, along with another head constable Santosh Vengurlekar and constable Vijay Gaikwad, was suspended on December 6 last year after two commercial sex workers filed a complaint with the crime branch that the police personnel had exploited them.
The sex workers had alleged that they were sexually abused by the policemen in return of protection to their business and they also tried to extort money from them in 2010-11.
Naik was arrested after being produced before the Goa bench of Bombay High Court, where he had filed the anticipatory bail petition.
"As the petition was supposed to be heard today, he came to withdraw it along with his lawyer and surrendered," police inspector (crime branch) Sunita Sawant said.
Naik would be produced before the court tomorrow to seek his remand as his custodial interrogation is required, Sawant added.
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic