Policeman arrested for abusing sex workers in Panaji
Panaji: A head constable was on Monday arrested in connection with the alleged sexual abuse of commercial sex workers, police said.
Waman Naik, a head constable with Goa police, along with another head constable Santosh Vengurlekar and constable Vijay Gaikwad, was suspended on December 6 last year after two commercial sex workers filed a complaint with the crime branch that the police personnel had exploited them.
The sex workers had alleged that they were sexually abused by the policemen in return of protection to their business and they also tried to extort money from them in 2010-11.
Naik was arrested after being produced before the Goa bench of Bombay High Court, where he had filed the anticipatory bail petition.
"As the petition was supposed to be heard today, he came to withdraw it along with his lawyer and surrendered," police inspector (crime branch) Sunita Sawant said.
Naik would be produced before the court tomorrow to seek his remand as his custodial interrogation is required, Sawant added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'