Policeman suspended for not registering FIR in assault case in Goa
Panaji: An assistant sub-inspector of police has been placed under suspension for alleged dereliction of duty in registering an FIR in an assault case involving a middle-aged woman.
"Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) Vithu Naik, attached to Mapusa police station, was suspended yesterday by the police department pending inquiry against him for dereliction of duty," a police department spokesperson said on Sunday.
The action came following an alleged incident in which the woman, mother of a six-year-old daughter, was beaten up by her relatives, comprising two women and a man, who stuffed chilli and turmeric powder in her private parts over a property dispute.
The alleged incident occurred in Camurlim village, about 15 kms away from Panaji, on June 23.
According to police, Naik refused to register the FIR after the woman approached the police. The complaint was registered only after alleged incident was highlighted by the media.
"This is a serious lapse on the part of the ASI. He should have registered the FIR," the spokesperson said.
According to the complainant, she was beaten up by Sonabia Sasve, Jeorge Sasve and his wife with sticks.
"They tried to rip my nose ring. Later, they threw chilli and turmeric powder on me and started stuffing it into my private parts which caused me unbearable pain," the spokesperson said quoting from the woman`s complaint.
Police have already arrested all the three persons and booked them under relevant sections of Indian Penal Code.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam