Political parties in Goa brace for Assembly polls
Panaji: With the Election Commission
announcing March 3 as the date for Assembly elections in Goa,
political activities in the state are expected to witness a
sudden rise as there is only a little over two months left
for the D-day.
Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi today announced
in Delhi the election dates for the five states, including
Welcoming the announcement, all the political parties in
the state, including the ruling Congress and the opposition
BJP, said they were ready to go for the polls.
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) President Subhash
Shirodkar said the party is ready for the polls in alliance
with the NCP.
"I will be chairing a meeting of Pradesh Election
Committee on December 28 to screen the list of aspirants in
various constituencies," he said.
Minutes after the announcement of the poll schedule,
Leader of Opposition in state assembly Manohar Parrikar
demanded that the Union Government budget should be postponed
till March 3, as its presentation prior to that date would
amount to violation of the model code of conduct.
"All the advertisements, promoting Goa government in the
name of Golden Jubilee celebration of Goa`s liberation from
Portuguese rule, should be immediately withdrawn," Parrikar
He said, the party would undertake a campaign to appeal
to the people to "liberate Goa from the corrupt rule of the
According to official figures, there are around 10 lakh
registered voters in the state, which has 40 constituencies,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Don't derail ties with India with controversial statements on Kashmir, Pak daily urges Islamabad
- Congress member wants PM's response to Hafiz's war rants, chinese interference
- Shocking! Here priest slept with more than 100 girls and mothers allowed it – Know why
- 12 ultras surrender in Chhattisgarh, cite disappointment with Maoist ideology
- Flood situation grim in Arunachal Pradesh, NH-52 submerged at Namsai