Previous govt neglected poor tribal for benefits: Minister
Panaji: State Tribal Welfare Minister Ramesh Tawadkar on Thursday accused the previous government of giving the benefits of tribal welfare schemes to the wealthy and neglecting the poor, who actually deserved it.
Tawadkar told the State Legislative Assembly that the erstwhile Congress-led government had not cleared the applications of various needy people retaining a backlog of seven-eight years.
This resulted in crores of rupees, sanctioned by the central government for tribal welfare, being left unutilised, he said.
"The money never reached the right people. Only wealthy got the money and needy were deprived," Tawadkar alleged.
"The state government had sanctioned Rs seven crore and central government Rs three crore for various tribal welfare schemes during the last financial year, of which only Rs one crore could be utilised," he said.
Responding to a question tabled by Congress legislator Atanasio Monserratte, the minister said that Rs seven crore sanctioned by the Union government was still with the state government, which could be utilised for various welfare schemes in the current financial year.
Tawadkar took over the ministry since March last year, when Parrikar-led government was elected in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what