Previous govt neglected poor tribal for benefits: Minister
Panaji: State Tribal Welfare Minister Ramesh Tawadkar on Thursday accused the previous government of giving the benefits of tribal welfare schemes to the wealthy and neglecting the poor, who actually deserved it.
Tawadkar told the State Legislative Assembly that the erstwhile Congress-led government had not cleared the applications of various needy people retaining a backlog of seven-eight years.
This resulted in crores of rupees, sanctioned by the central government for tribal welfare, being left unutilised, he said.
"The money never reached the right people. Only wealthy got the money and needy were deprived," Tawadkar alleged.
"The state government had sanctioned Rs seven crore and central government Rs three crore for various tribal welfare schemes during the last financial year, of which only Rs one crore could be utilised," he said.
Responding to a question tabled by Congress legislator Atanasio Monserratte, the minister said that Rs seven crore sanctioned by the Union government was still with the state government, which could be utilised for various welfare schemes in the current financial year.
Tawadkar took over the ministry since March last year, when Parrikar-led government was elected in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy