Previous govt neglected poor tribal for benefits: Minister
Panaji: State Tribal Welfare Minister Ramesh Tawadkar on Thursday accused the previous government of giving the benefits of tribal welfare schemes to the wealthy and neglecting the poor, who actually deserved it.
Tawadkar told the State Legislative Assembly that the erstwhile Congress-led government had not cleared the applications of various needy people retaining a backlog of seven-eight years.
This resulted in crores of rupees, sanctioned by the central government for tribal welfare, being left unutilised, he said.
"The money never reached the right people. Only wealthy got the money and needy were deprived," Tawadkar alleged.
"The state government had sanctioned Rs seven crore and central government Rs three crore for various tribal welfare schemes during the last financial year, of which only Rs one crore could be utilised," he said.
Responding to a question tabled by Congress legislator Atanasio Monserratte, the minister said that Rs seven crore sanctioned by the Union government was still with the state government, which could be utilised for various welfare schemes in the current financial year.
Tawadkar took over the ministry since March last year, when Parrikar-led government was elected in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh