Previous govt neglected poor tribal for benefits: Minister
Panaji: State Tribal Welfare Minister Ramesh Tawadkar on Thursday accused the previous government of giving the benefits of tribal welfare schemes to the wealthy and neglecting the poor, who actually deserved it.
Tawadkar told the State Legislative Assembly that the erstwhile Congress-led government had not cleared the applications of various needy people retaining a backlog of seven-eight years.
This resulted in crores of rupees, sanctioned by the central government for tribal welfare, being left unutilised, he said.
"The money never reached the right people. Only wealthy got the money and needy were deprived," Tawadkar alleged.
"The state government had sanctioned Rs seven crore and central government Rs three crore for various tribal welfare schemes during the last financial year, of which only Rs one crore could be utilised," he said.
Responding to a question tabled by Congress legislator Atanasio Monserratte, the minister said that Rs seven crore sanctioned by the Union government was still with the state government, which could be utilised for various welfare schemes in the current financial year.
Tawadkar took over the ministry since March last year, when Parrikar-led government was elected in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!