Principal held for negligence in minor`s rape in Vasco school
Panaji: Headmistress of a school run by the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) in Vasco town of Goa was arrested on Sunday for negligence in connection with the rape of a seven-year-old girl on the school premises, police said.
"Headmistress Sharlet Furtado was arrested this afternoon by South District police for negligence, which resulted in the sexual assault on the girl on January 14", DIG OP Mishra told reporters here.
Hinting at more arrests, Mishra said that a case of negligence has been made out against Furtado and this is the first arrest in the case.
However, Mishra supervising the investigations termed it as a "blind case".
"This is a blind case. It has no point of origin. We are trying to build up the entire case", the DIG said refusing to divulge more saying it is a sensitive case.
"The case is being investigated on a broad canvas. There are different angles to it", he added.
Police have registered two different cases related to the alleged sexual assault of the minor inside the school toilet. The incident had evoked strong reactions from parents and locals, who had hit the streets.
The culprit, suspected to be a middle-aged man, is yet to be nabbed.
While the first case of rape is being investigated by special investigation team (SIT) of Crime Branch, the case of negligence against the principal by South District police.
Mishra further said the case of destruction of evidence has also been registered in connection with rape on the complaint of the parents who alleged the child was given bath, her inner-wear washed and the toilet was cleaned by the school authorities after the rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?