Private Goa bus operators miffed over lack of security
Panaji: Private bus operators in Goa on Monday accused the state government of not providing them adequate security, which is required for implementation of different rules under the Motor Vehicle Act.
All Goa Private Bus Owners Association General Secretary Sudip Tamankar told reporters that the complaints lodged by crew on private buses are taken `lightly? by police department.
"Police refuse to entertain our complaints. They take the things lightly when passengers assault our staff in the bus," Tamankar said pointing out to the complaint in Ponda town where driver of a minister was involved in bashing up the bus conductor.
"When bus conductor went to the police station, a non cognizable complaint was registered against minister’s driver. Police did not even bother to summon the driver for inquiry," Tamankar alleged.
Goa has several hundred private buses plying on various routes ferrying the passengers.
The Central Motor Vehicle Act makes it compulsory for the bus owners not to overload their vehicle with passengers and also adhere by the rules like reserved seat for women passengers.
"When bus conductor asks the violator to get up from the seat, he abuses the conductor or assaults him," he said adding that private bus operators have now passed the onus to women passengers to get their rightful seats in the buses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum