Probe into illegal mining in Goa commences
Panaji: Justice MB Shah, heading the
Central government-appointed inquiry Commission on mining,
on Friday began inspection of several controversial mines, to
ascertain the ground realities of illegal iron ore mining in
the coastal state.
Shah arrived in Goa last evening and got on to his job
since morning. He summoned district collectors and senior
police officers for a meeting at Raj Bhavan, where he is
reportedly put up, officials said.
A senior mines department officer said due to paucity of
time, Shah is likely to only inspect couple of mines as
against his earlier plan to visit eight mines.
Dr UV Singh, a member of the Commission, has been
camping in Goa since Sunday and eight teams constituted under
him have already began inspecting various mines.
A government spokesman said Shah would be meeting members
of public on September 17 at the Secretariat to get feedback
on the mining activities.
Singh said the Commission will inspect all the 90 active
mining leases and even those mining sites which are reported
to be dormant.
The Commission during their probe will pin-point the
irregularities including evasion of mining royalty, illegal
extraction of ore and encroachment by mining firms outside
their lease areas.
The Commission, which has been appointed by the Central
government to probe illegal mining across the country, under
the Commission of Inquiry Act, last year has been given a
period of 18 months to submit the report.
Singh said the Commission will probe irregularities in
mining sector but special consideration would be given to
events after China boom, when Iron ore became in great demand
due to infrastructure to have Olympics in that country.
Goa is the largest exporter of Iron Ore in the country
with exports of 54 million metric tonnes annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic