Protest in Panaji over halting of mining in Goa
Panaji: Hundreds of people here on Tuesday began a chain sit-in protest demanding immediate resumption of mining activity in the state which has been on hold for the last four months following the Supreme Court directives.
The protestors, under the banner of Goa Mining People`s Front (GMPF), have resolved to continue their peaceful protests at the historic Azad Maidan in Panaji, till their demands are met.
"This is an indefinite protest. We want the concerned authorities to know that the situation is grim in rural Goa. The people dependent on mining are going through a critical phase," GMPF leader Christopher Fonseca told media persons at the protest site.
The agitators demanded that the Supreme Court should have a sympathetic view towards issues of the people, who are facing difficulties after the mining ban.
All the 90-odd mining leases stopped functioning in Goa after the apex court ordered the halt of extraction and transportation of ore, awaiting report from the Central Empowered Committee (CEC).
Fonseca said the protests are "beginning of a larger agitation that would not end unless demands are met. There will be protests in various forms across the state."
"The issues related to the livelihood of people are involved in this case. Around three lakh people are directly involved and as far as Goa`s finances are concerned they have gone haywire," Fonseca said.
On the occasion, South Goa Progressive Truck Owners Association president Prakash Raut Desai said the situation will further worsen if mining continues to be on hold.
"For the last four months, we have been waiting patiently that mining will resume. But nothing has happened," he said.
Goa is the largest exporter of iron ore in the country with 43 million metric tonnes of ore exported during the last financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India