Pvt bus owners in Goa demand review of 50% student concession
Panaji: Private bus owners in Goa Monday demanded that the 50 per cent concession granted to students should be reviewed with certain riders, to curb its misuse.
The bus owners, who will be striking from April 12, with
indefinite fasting before Director of Transport?s office in
the city, have said that several bogus Identity Cards have
crippling their ticket collections.
"We have found that many youths carry bogus Identity
cards claiming themselves as students availing the 50 per cent
concession in the ticket rates," Sudip Tamankar, General
secretary, All Goa Bus Owners Association (AGBOA) told
He said that the scheme should be reviewed and concession
should be granted only on school routes and during day time.
"Either state government should stamp those identity
cards or AGBOA should be given the right to certify them as
genuine," Tamankar said.
The Goa government allowed 50 per cent concession in
ticket to students in 1978 after massive agitation by the
students union in the state.
Tamankar said they had also taken up the issue with the
State Education department but of no avail.
He said the bus owners have no issues in giving
concession to genuine students on school or college routes but
the misuse of the scheme should be banned.
GBOA has decided to hold indefinite hunger strike in the
city from tomorrow, which will convert into a major agitation
from April 15 onwards when they will pull out their buses from
The hunger strike will continue along with the bus
strike, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it