Raging row after Rahul`s meetings at Goa university
Panaji: Goa Governor SS Sidhu has now intervened in the raging controversy involving Rahul Gandhi`s political meetings in the Goa university campus earlier this week.
A Raj Bhavan spokesperson Saturday said Sidhu, chancellor of the university, has sought a "factual report" from vice chancellor Dilip Deobagkar.
Sidhu`s intervention came a day after university registrar Mohan Sangodkar said he was responsible for allowing the All India Congress committee (AICC) general secretary to conduct three political meetings in the varsity campus Tuesday.
"The governor has taken note of the reports in the media about the Rahul Gandhi controversy. During a meeting with the VC (vice chancellor) held today (Saturday), his excellency has asked him to submit a factual report on Gandhi`s visit to the campus," N. Radhakrishnan, special secretary to governor, told reporters in a statement.
The three meetings conducted by Rahul Gandhi Tuesday created much controversy in the state, with the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding the registrar`s resignation for allowing them to take place.
Rahul Gandhi addressed meetings of the Congress-backed National Students Union of India (NSUI) on the campus and later of the Youth Congress members and state Congress unit officials.
Before Rahul Gandhi`s visit, members of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad -- a students` group close to the BJP -- laid siege to the campus over the issue.
The university later claimed that Youth Congress office bearers had kept them in the dark about the political nature of Rahul Gandhi`s visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM