Rahul Gandhi meets Goa partymen hit by mining ban
Panaji: Grassroots Congress workers, mid-level party politicos from panchayats and legislators have been making a beeline since morning for meetings with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, who arrived in Goa Thursday.
Gandhi is in Goa to attend a national executive meeting of the National Students` Union of India (NSUI) and apprise himself with the woes of those affected by the Supreme Court-enforced ban on mining.
One of the panchayat members, who met the party general secretary at a conference centre near Panaji, said that Gandhi was keen on knowing how people living in the mining belt were adapting their lives in the face of the ban.
"He first told us about what the Congress was doing to better the situation in the state. And he has asked us to have patience so that a solution to the mining crisis is found," the Congress-aligned panchayat member said.
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee president Subhash Shirodkar said that after meeting party representatives from the mining belt, Gandhi would address a session of the NSUI.
"It is going to be a private session," he said, adding that no media interaction was on the cards as Gandhi had a busy itinerary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened