Rahul Gandhi meets Goa partymen hit by mining ban
Panaji: Grassroots Congress workers, mid-level party politicos from panchayats and legislators have been making a beeline since morning for meetings with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, who arrived in Goa Thursday.
Gandhi is in Goa to attend a national executive meeting of the National Students` Union of India (NSUI) and apprise himself with the woes of those affected by the Supreme Court-enforced ban on mining.
One of the panchayat members, who met the party general secretary at a conference centre near Panaji, said that Gandhi was keen on knowing how people living in the mining belt were adapting their lives in the face of the ban.
"He first told us about what the Congress was doing to better the situation in the state. And he has asked us to have patience so that a solution to the mining crisis is found," the Congress-aligned panchayat member said.
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee president Subhash Shirodkar said that after meeting party representatives from the mining belt, Gandhi would address a session of the NSUI.
"It is going to be a private session," he said, adding that no media interaction was on the cards as Gandhi had a busy itinerary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh