Rahul Gandhi to assess mining ban in Goa
Panaji: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will visit Goa Dec 20 to assess the impact of the mining ban in the state, a state Congress leader said Monday.
Speaking to reporters in Panaji, state Congress president Subhash Shirodkar said Rahul Gandhi would also interact with party members and will address a convention of the Congress-aligned National Students Union of India.
"It will be a one-day visit during which he will be taking stock of the mining situation in Goa from people affected by mining," Shirodkar said.
"We have requested Rahul Gandhi to try and break the deadlock which has emerged ever since mining was banned in Goa," he said.
In October, Goa`s mining industry was banned by the Supreme Court, which is hearing a petition filed by lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan. The petition was filed after a Rs 35,000-crore mining scam was exposed by a judicial commission a few months ago.
Goa`s Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had said the ban on mining imposed was hurting the state`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP