Rahul Gandhi to assess mining ban in Goa
Panaji: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will visit Goa Dec 20 to assess the impact of the mining ban in the state, a state Congress leader said Monday.
Speaking to reporters in Panaji, state Congress president Subhash Shirodkar said Rahul Gandhi would also interact with party members and will address a convention of the Congress-aligned National Students Union of India.
"It will be a one-day visit during which he will be taking stock of the mining situation in Goa from people affected by mining," Shirodkar said.
"We have requested Rahul Gandhi to try and break the deadlock which has emerged ever since mining was banned in Goa," he said.
In October, Goa`s mining industry was banned by the Supreme Court, which is hearing a petition filed by lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan. The petition was filed after a Rs 35,000-crore mining scam was exposed by a judicial commission a few months ago.
Goa`s Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had said the ban on mining imposed was hurting the state`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum