Rahul Gandhi to assess mining ban in Goa
Panaji: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will visit Goa Dec 20 to assess the impact of the mining ban in the state, a state Congress leader said Monday.
Speaking to reporters in Panaji, state Congress president Subhash Shirodkar said Rahul Gandhi would also interact with party members and will address a convention of the Congress-aligned National Students Union of India.
"It will be a one-day visit during which he will be taking stock of the mining situation in Goa from people affected by mining," Shirodkar said.
"We have requested Rahul Gandhi to try and break the deadlock which has emerged ever since mining was banned in Goa," he said.
In October, Goa`s mining industry was banned by the Supreme Court, which is hearing a petition filed by lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan. The petition was filed after a Rs 35,000-crore mining scam was exposed by a judicial commission a few months ago.
Goa`s Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had said the ban on mining imposed was hurting the state`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!