Rahul`s meet with Cong activists in Goa varsity draws flak
Panaji: All India Congress Committee
General Secretary Rahul Gandhi`s meeting with Youth Congress
members in Goa University`s administrative building here has
invited flak from the varsity authorities.
"It`s total inappropriate use of permission given by
Goa University," Registrar Mohan Sangodkar said last evening.
The varsity officials were angered over Goa Pradesh
Youth Congress Committee`s (GPYCC) meeting with Gandhi in the
conference hall, allotted to them as a stand-by arrangement.
Gandhi is in-charge of Youth Congress and the party`s
student wing NSUI. The 39-year-old Lok Sabha MP on Tuesday had
addressed 1,500 students at the university ground and later
met Youth Congress activists in the varsity`s conference room.
"Whenever VVIPs come, a safe place is arranged for
emergency purpose or if they want to hold some confidential
discussions," Sangodkar said.
"Since they (Youth Congress) approached us with the
request for the room, we said okay. But nobody knew that it
would be used for the type of (political) meeting, which was
held in it," the Registrar said.
Sangodkar said the university has noticed the
inappropriate use of its premises and matter would be brought
with the authorities. "The university has its own hierarchy.
It has its own body to take action... we will place the matter
This was the second awkward situation for the
university in as many days.
A day before Gandhi`s visit, the university`s decision
to issue a circular asking students to participate in the
interaction with him drew protests from BJP`s student wing,
which managed to force the varsity to withdraw the directive
barely hours before the Congress youth icon arrived in Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued