Ramdev threatens fast against Goa illegal mining
Panaji: Yoga guru Swami Ramdev on Saturday
extended his support to the fight against illegal mining in
Goa and warned of a hunger strike if the Congress-led
Government in the state did not come clean on the issue.
"We will run a campaign against illegal mining before
elections (due in mid-2012). If required, I would sit for
hunger strike in Goa against those involved in it. Can we
allow these looters to be elected to the Assembly?" he sought
to know while talking to reporters here.
The popular yoga guru is touring the coastal state, where
cases of large-scale illegal mining have come to light, and
addressing a series of public meetings as a part of his `Goa
Bachao Sammelan` (Save Goa Conference).
Several village-level groups have joined the Haridwar-
based yoga teacher in his campaign in Goa.
The main aim of the campaign is to ensure that none of
the politicians involved in illegal mining gets elected to the
Assembly in the forthcoming polls, he maintained.
The Swami squarely blamed Chief Minister Digambar Kamat
for the mining mess.
"That person (Kamat) is holding the (mining) portfolio
for the last 12 years. He is equally responsible for illegal
Clarifying that his organisation (Bharat Swabhiman Trust)
would not be contesting the elections here, Ramdev said all
political parties would be asked to come clean on the crucial
issues of illegal mining, corruption and ill-gotten wealth,
prior to the polls.
The yoga guru, who has several branches of his outfits
Patanjali Yog and Bharat Swabhiman Trust in the state, said
"peaceful" nature of Goans (Goa residents) has stopped them
from becoming Naxalites considering the pace at which their
land had been diverted for mining activity.
"It will not be wrong if people stand in protest against
illegal mining," Swami Ramdev said, adding iron ore exports to
a "hostile" country like China should be banned.
The yoga guru claimed that a large part of ill-gotten
money parked in overseas banks from Goa has been generated
from illegal mining, and land and drugs-related activities.
Lobbying for more share of taxes for Goa, Swami Ramdev
said the Centre should pump back at least 50 per cent of the
money collected as royalty to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!