Rane called up, requested his son be released: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that Maharashtra minister Narayan Rane called him up and sought the release of his son Nitesh Rane after he was arrested for vandalising a toll-booth on Goa-Maharashtra border and assaulting the staff yesterday.
"(Narayan) Rane did call me. He requested me to look into the matter and if possible release Nitesh. I asked him to approach the court," Parrikar said, talking to reporters here.
Rane senior`s reaction was "very positive" and he did not express anger or reacted with arrogance after his request was turned down, Parrikar added.
Nitesh, who leads Swabhiman Sanghatana, a Mumbai-based outfit, was arrested alongwith eight others last night over the incident.
Parrikar also said that Nitesh was partly involved, while five others actually attacked the staff and vandalised the booth.
"The incident took place not because he (Nitesh) had no money to pay (the toll). Five hundred rupees is nothing to him. But this was an attempt to show the authority," Parrikar quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof