Rane called up, requested his son be released: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that Maharashtra minister Narayan Rane called him up and sought the release of his son Nitesh Rane after he was arrested for vandalising a toll-booth on Goa-Maharashtra border and assaulting the staff yesterday.
"(Narayan) Rane did call me. He requested me to look into the matter and if possible release Nitesh. I asked him to approach the court," Parrikar said, talking to reporters here.
Rane senior`s reaction was "very positive" and he did not express anger or reacted with arrogance after his request was turned down, Parrikar added.
Nitesh, who leads Swabhiman Sanghatana, a Mumbai-based outfit, was arrested alongwith eight others last night over the incident.
Parrikar also said that Nitesh was partly involved, while five others actually attacked the staff and vandalised the booth.
"The incident took place not because he (Nitesh) had no money to pay (the toll). Five hundred rupees is nothing to him. But this was an attempt to show the authority," Parrikar quipped.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!