Ready to join hands with BJP to resolve mining crisis: Congress
Panaji: Congress on Tuesday said it was ready to bury political differences with the BJP to find a solution for the current crisis in the mining industry.
All India Congress Committee Secretary P Sudhakar Reddy told reporters that the party looked at the entire issue from the "humanitarian point of view".
"Congress is always for the legal mining and opposes illegal mining in Goa. When it comes to issue of people affected with mining, we should look at the issue on humanitarian grounds," Reddy said.
He expressed fear that if economic slowdown, due to the halt in mining activities, is not arrested at this juncture, the situation would become critical over the next couple of months.
Responding to a question, Reddy said if the state government came forward, the Congress party was ready to keep aside political differences to lobby with the Centre.
"Our MPs are ready. Whatever is required for Goa, we will do it within the legal framework," he added.
Reddy expected that the Supreme Court will arrive at a decision as soon as possible. He also said the party will also consult the legal department of AICC to resolve the situation.
The apex court has halted the extraction and transport of iron ore in the state pending inquiry by the Central Empowered Committee (CEC), which is currently in Goa and is on visit of the mining leases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH