Ready to join hands with BJP to resolve mining crisis: Congress
Panaji: Congress on Tuesday said it was ready to bury political differences with the BJP to find a solution for the current crisis in the mining industry.
All India Congress Committee Secretary P Sudhakar Reddy told reporters that the party looked at the entire issue from the "humanitarian point of view".
"Congress is always for the legal mining and opposes illegal mining in Goa. When it comes to issue of people affected with mining, we should look at the issue on humanitarian grounds," Reddy said.
He expressed fear that if economic slowdown, due to the halt in mining activities, is not arrested at this juncture, the situation would become critical over the next couple of months.
Responding to a question, Reddy said if the state government came forward, the Congress party was ready to keep aside political differences to lobby with the Centre.
"Our MPs are ready. Whatever is required for Goa, we will do it within the legal framework," he added.
Reddy expected that the Supreme Court will arrive at a decision as soon as possible. He also said the party will also consult the legal department of AICC to resolve the situation.
The apex court has halted the extraction and transport of iron ore in the state pending inquiry by the Central Empowered Committee (CEC), which is currently in Goa and is on visit of the mining leases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly