Record 2.7 million tourists in Goa in 2012
Panaji: A record 2.7 million tourists landed in Goa last year, the tourism department has said.
This included 22.5 lakh Indian tourists and 4.5 lakh foreigners. The coastal state, famous for its beaches, also witnessed an increase in arrival of chartered flights.
According to Goa tourism department statistics, 987 chartered flights carrying 2.15 lakh tourists landed in Goa as against 910 flights with 1.69 lakh tourists in 2011-12 from nine international destinations.
Of these, 742 flights came from Russia and 152 from Britain.
Similarly, the number of cruise ship arrivals in Goa has also seen an increase, with 25 vessels carrying 22,233 passengers in 2012-13 berthing at the Mormugao Port Trust, 40 km from here.
In 2010-11, this stood at 20 vessels and 11,946 passengers.
"In 2012-13, Goa did extremely well, better than previous years. We are delighted to see the upswing in the arrivals of domestic and foreign tourists, which touched an all-time high," said Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar.
He added that the state had emerged as a preferred destination for conferences and the like as well as weddings.
"Positive steps have been taken by the Goa government such as introduction of water sports policy, security force on Goan beaches, improvement of tourism infrastructure, marketing and promotional," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what