Recover Rs 35,000 crore, keep 80 percent: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Saturday threw a challenge to his detractors who have been claiming that he was soft on the mining industry indicted in a Rs 35,000 crore scam, offering them the lion`s share of the sum if they recovered the money.
"If anyone recovers Rs 35,000 crore (from the mining industry), I will give them all the money. I will keep only 20 percent, which is Rs 7,000 crore. Let them keep the rest," Parrikar said, noting that recovery of revenue was not as easy as it appears.
"It is a very cumbersome process," he said.
Parrikar also targeted "one or two environmentalists" for ignoring the plight of the hundreds and thousands of mining workers, who had been rendered temporarily jobless due to the Supreme Court enforced ban on mining.
"It is a funny situation. All the mine owners, government and even union leaders are on one side, and these one or two environmentalists on the other," he said.
As Chief Minister, Parrikar been accused of being close the mining lobby by the opposition as well as anti-mining activists, who have demanded that the government recover dues allegedly pocketed by mining companies in Goa`s multi-crore mining scam.
A judicial commission headed by former Supreme Court judge MB Shah has pegged Goa`s mining loss at Rs 35,000 crore, and alleged a scam in the mining sector which he said was carried out by mining companies which were in cahoots with politicians and bureaucrats.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!