Remand home staff under suspicion after rise in escape rate
Panaji: A local NGO has alleged involvement
of staff attached to a state-run remand home in Panaji in the
escape of juvenile delinquents.
Official figures reveal that eight juveniles escaped from
this remand home at Merces village near Panaji in the last 6 months.
The latest incident was reported on last Friday, when two
boys managed give a slip to the authorities while being taken
back to the remand home from the board hearing. One was caught
later on by the police.
Following this, NGO Stop Child Abuse Now (SCAN), has
filed a petition against the remand home affairs.
"It was found that a boy who was not supposed to be
presented before Juvenile Justice Board was brought out of
the clossette. He escaped while being taken back to the remand
home", SCAN co-ordinator Emidio Pinho alleged suspecting the
involvement of officials in the escapes.
Police said the 16-year-old boy, who managed to slip away
was arrested after a manhunt while his accomplice is still at
large. The boy who was arrested, had attempted on the prior
day to escape by cutting the window grills of the remand home.
Pinho said the erring officials need to be investigated
as sheer lax attitude is complicating issues.
SCAN has filed a PIL in the Goa bench of the Bombay High
court highlighting the "pathetic living conditions" of the
inmantes in the remand home.
The NGO has told the court that children from other
states are not being repatriated as required under the
Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Rules 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi