Road fatalities in Goa: 79 deaths in Jan-March
Panaji: The number of fatalities in road accidents across Goa have been swelling each day since the beginning of this year, with 79 deaths reported in the first three months, according to official data.
According to the figures made available by the Goa Transport Department, of the total 79 deaths, 49 were of two-wheeler riders.
State Transport Director Arun Desai said that compared to last year, the number of accidents are less, but deaths are on a rise.
Desai said that between January to March this year, a total of 1,143 accidents were reported on Goa`s roads involving 1,860 vehicles.
While the number of two-wheeler riders remain the highest in terms of road fatalities, 14 pedestrians and four pillion riders were killed till March 2014.
The Transport department is worried over the lawlessness on roads as there is a drastic upward graph in the fatalities.
The accidents in the first three months of 2013 had left 58 dead in 1,164 accidents involving 1875 vehicles.
The dead included 28 two-wheeler riders, 15 pedestrians and three pillion riders.
Desai said that the vehicle population is rapidly increasing in the state with 10 lakhs new additions on the state roads.
For year 2013, about 70,990 vehicles were registered with the transport department.
The director said that increasing number of vehicles is a prime reason for rise in accidents.
The department has decided to launch massive drive to curb the violations on the road from May 10 onwards.
"The vehicles which are driven rashly would be fined and also focus would be on vehicles with tinted glasses," he said adding that the fine amount would also be increased from Rs 100 to Rs 1000 so that violators feel the pinch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- CAG starts audit of DIAL, AAI books amid concerns over "irregularities"
- 'Half Girlfriend': Shraddha Kapoor injured on sets!
- India needs $1.5 trillion for infrastructure development: Arun Jaitley
- IIFA 2016: Why should girls have all the fun? Ranveer-Fawad-Karan shoot up dapper quotient
- Salman Khan flaunting his biceps in new 'Sultan' still will leave you flabbergasted! - View pic